Reflections

Sunday, October 27, 2013

September Trials and the Misdemeanors of Family


When I get around to finding you
among the empty automobiles and vacant buildings,
the groves that will surely shrivel and die-
I might have a bottle of beer with me
to chase the memories of yesterday
that refuse to join the sky.

I used to look forward to seeing you,
the way you held my hand
and spoke to me about making
something of myself.
Now I sit down in my usual place
and I watch words become pictures inside my head,
 the last image of the ceiling before the lights go out,
a glimpse of the neighbor next door in skimpy panties
calling her dog from the back porch.

Once in awhile things turn into something
gentle reminders that the moments matter,
the beginning and the ending of what we think and how we struggle

to change the unchangeable, 
how we put together little pictures from broken memories 
hope of doing more 
or doing less 
than yesterday.  

September 30th, 2000
..and you were gone.

No comments: